Facebook Twitter

Marriage and U.S. Citizenship

Posted on November 18, 2021 by Manuel Yoon

A very common practice in the USA is for an American citizen (or legal permanent resident) to have a partner who's a foreign national. At these times, the taxpayer most often desires their partner shares in the very same opportunities and privileges that they have as an American citizen. The procedure for securing a green card to your partner is a lengthy and complicated process, and can take anywhere from a few months to many years. When searching for a green card for a partner there are two choices that you can take.

Because spouses of U.S. citizens are considered an"immediate relative,' they are able to apply for a green card without the traditional waiting period. It takes around ten months for the program to be reviewed but while they're waiting, the partner can usually get a work permit in about a month's time.

A partner of a legal permanent resident of the U.S. can apply for a green card, but the waiting period is a lot longer and in addition, the partner is subject to annual quotas. Among the chief resources of investigation is the state of origin.

If your application for citizenship takes longer than anticipated don't worry. Immigration is a very time consuming process and several times you're treated as a number rather than an individual. By consulting with an experienced immigration attorney you can make your case stand out. Contact an experienced immigration attorney today!.